Chronology

The following timeline illustrates the main phases of construction and transformation of the walls of Sabbioneta from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century, as well as how these are documented on the basis of reconstructed historical information from the library of the State Archives of Mantua.

Information on the twentieth century works are documented through research at the Archives of the Municipality of Sabbioneta.

1554

1554

Beginning of construction, starting from the walls of the pre-existing castle towards Porta Vittoria.

1559

1559

Bottaccio writes to Vespasiano

“one third of the work is done”

1560

1560

Probable realization of Porta Vittoria.

1562

1562

Order to move within the walls

1563

1563

Nizzolio writes:

"The moat is surrounded by uncultivated areas with grass and bushes"

1564

1564

Work on the curtain wall from San Gallo to San Rocco begins and the bastion of Santa Maria is completed.

Contract is agreed for the construction of the Bastion of San Giorgio, commissioning bricklayers from Piacenza.

1568

1568

Five bastions are constructed.

1578

1578

Completion of the sixth bastion (San Francesco).

1579

1579

Completion of the Porta Imperiale (memorial plaque).

1578-1579

1578-1579

Completion of the curtain wall between the Bastion of Sant’Elmo and San Francesco.

1589

1589

De Dondi writes:

“In the month of April 1589 his excellency the Duke had poplars planted on all the bastions that surround the city of Sabbioneta and replaced all those that had gone missing behind the curtain walls”

1589

1589

Construction works begin on the covered road.

1590

1590

The covered road is finished.

XVII sec.

XVII sec.

The ravellin of Porta Vittoria is built, the Porta Imperiale is walled up and the corresponding bridge is demolished.

1703

1703

The Austrians reopen the imperial gate and sell the state properties.

1794

1794

Demolition of the castle.

1914-1919

1914-1919

Wall demolition project.

1921

1921

Demolition of the ramparts between the bastions of San Nicola and San Giovanni.

1924

1924

Demolition of the ramparts between the bastion of San Francesco and the remains of the castle.